The Cowichan Watershed Board (CWB) was announced on January 28, 2010.
The CWB is a recommendation of the Cowichan Basin Water Management Plan (the Plan) that was completed in March 2007. The CWB’s mandate is to provide leadership for sustainable water management to protect and enhance environmental quality and the quality of life in the Cowichan watershed and adjoining areas.
The CWB does not have regulatory authority. Its job is to promote wise water management practices throughout the watershed by:
- advocating for the well-being of the watershed;
- guiding and coordinating the implementation of the Plan;
- providing timely, balanced and thoughtful advice to First Nations, federal, provincial and local government;
- securing stable funding sources to support water management activities;
- engaging local stakeholders in water management decisions;
- gathering information on and monitoring the health of the watershed;
- providing and accessing specialized expertise and knowledge for sustainable water management in the Cowichan watershed; and
- developing outreach and educational tools to enhance watershed thinking and increase understanding of water science, stewardship and management activities.
The CWB is 14 members. Click here for biographical information.
The Board's 14 members will be appointed by the government partners as follows:
- Appointed by CVRD
- Co-Chair Ian Morrison, Director for CVRD Area F, Chair of CVRD
- Alison Nicholson, Director for CVRD Area E
- Lori Iannidinardo, Director for CVRD Area D
- Appointed by Cowichan Tribes
- Co-Chair William Seymour, Chief of Cowichan Tribes,
- Debra Toporowski, Councillor of Cowichan Tribes
- Darin George, Councillor of Cowichan Tribes
- Appointed at Large
- The Honourable David Anderson, Former Federal Fisheries Minister, Former Federal Environment Minister
- Tim Kulchyski, Natural Resource Consultant, Cowichan Tribes
- Dr. Shannon Waters, Medical Health Officer for the Cowichan Valley, Vancouver Island Health Authority
- Tim McGonigle, CVRD Director representing the Town of Lake Cowichan
- Nominated by Provincial Government
- Dr. David Froese, former fisheries biologist, medical doctor
- David Slade, former President of the BC Groundwater Association
- Nominated by Federal Government
- Dr. Laura Brown, Area Director - South Coast, Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Advisors and Committees
The CWB is assisted in its work by a Communications Committee and a Technical Advisory Committee. Other committees will be convened as needed.
Board meetings are normally the last Monday of every month, hosted in the Cowichan Valley Regional District's Boardroom. The public is welcome to attend all meetings. Please click the link below to obtain agendas, minutes, and materials for Board meetings.
To reach the CWB
Contact Jill Thompson at email@example.com or 250-709-0492.
Or click here to use the Contact form.
Cowichan Watershed Board Announcement, January 28, 2010
Cowichan Basin Water Management Plan, March 2007
Constitution and Bylaws for the Cowichan Watershed Society, Revised 05 December 2016
CWB Member Survey, Feb 2017