Koksilah River Information Night
Thursday March 1st, 6:30-9pm
The HUB at Cowichan Station (main hall), 2375 Koksilah Rd.
Co-Hosted by CVRD Area E Director Alison Nicholson and Cowichan Watershed Board
All welcome. Free.
7pm – Introductions and Context
- Cowichan Tribes Welcome; Importance of Hwulqw'selu to First Nations people; cooperation – Tim Kulchyski (Cowichan Tribes)
- The big picture – interconnected water stress and climate; local roles in preparing for the future – Tom Rutherford (Cowichan Watershed Board)
- CVRD's role, Area E Official Community Plan and proposed water service (Alison Nicholson, CVRD Area E Director)
- Koksilah Ecosystem-Based Analysis – ongoing citizen's initiative. Welcome to join. Emily Doyle-Yamaguchi (Koksilah Watershed Working Group)
7:30 – Water Quality and Quantity studies
- Low summer water flow issues
- Volunteer conservation efforts this summer and resulting flow improvements measured in stream. Jaro Szczot (BC Ministry of Forest Lands and Natural Resource Operations)
- What leads to temporary protection orders under the Water Sustainability Act and how those play out on the Koksilah. Matthew MacDonald (BC Ministry of Forest Lands and Natural Resource Operations)
- Water Quality / pollutants
- Initial results from 2017 Koksilah water quality testing – Dr. Dave Preikshot (consultant)
8:15 – Q & A
- How can we work together to improve Koksilah water issues?
9:00 Wrap up.