Cowichan Lake and River Stewardship Society AGM – Jul 29
You are invited to attend and participate in our 2012 Annual General Meeting on July 29th at 1:00 PM in the Lake Cowichan Legion Hall Basement. Please see the Calendar page on the CLRSS website at www.cowichan-lake-stewards.ca for details and meeting agenda.
If you haven’t renewed your membership this would be an opportunity to do so and if you already have done so then this is an excellent time to provide input on where the Society should be headed.
One of the critical areas of concern for us is riparian health and erosion control. This year’s guest speakers will be Dave Polster and Genevieve Singleton. They both have botany backgrounds and have an abundance of restoration experience. Dave’s expertise is in bioengineering and bank stabilization. He has led projects and taught courses in the subject all across Canada. They will be presenting an interesting slide show illustrating their successes in natural stabilization of river and lake banks. If you have waterfront property that is subject to erosion then this will be of interest to you!
We have had an excellent year with many successes, including:
· completion of river signage project encouraging responsible use
· implementation of stream signage to increase awareness and protection of sensitive habitat
· participation in bank stabilization projects
· acting as an advocate to the RCMP to encourage responsible boat use on the Lake
· creation & distribution of handouts for boaters encouraging safety and respect
· creation & distribution of handouts for property owners encouraging riparian zone respect
· completion of annual River clean up covering 10 KM of shoreline
We have quickly become the voice of Cowichan Lake and River regarding environmental and usage concerns. Your involvement is crucial to our continued success. We appreciate all views and need yours in order to provide us with direction and focus for the upcoming year.
Please come and show your support!
I look forward to seeing you at the meeting and hearing your input.