2023 River Cleanup
Sunday, August 27, 2023, 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM
Mini Big House, 5536 River Road, Duncan
This soul satisfying annual event removes truck-loads of garbage from about 15 km of the iconic Cowichan River every year. It is timed to coincide with low water before the water rises and washes it all downstream as the salmon try to swim home. All welcome! No experience needed.
Got a Team who wants to clean? If you have at least four people, you may register a team in advance to be allocated a section of the river. Routes vary from shoreline shrubbery to hip-wading to deep water diving. Route leaders will help you find a route that suits your abilities and equipment.
Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Some routes are not suitable for children.
Expect to be out for approximately 2-4 hours and dress appropriately. People are often colder than they expect. (Wetsuits and toques are high fashion at Cleanup!)
A picture is worth a thousand kilos. Photographers will be onsite to capture the day and the mound of garbage. (Just tell us if you don’t want to be photographed.)
What to Bring:
- Work gloves if you have them (some supplied). Sunhat, sunscreen or (preferably) long sleeved shirt
- Sturdy close-toed footwear (e.g. old sneakers, rubber boots) in case of glass and sharp objects.
- Berry-bush-battle-shirt if you are willing to help relieve the poor shrubbery of its unwanted guests!
- Warm-up clothes for afterward.
- Canoes, floatie-boats (to float your treasures) and/or snorkel gear if you have them.
- Pick-up trucks – if you are able to take materials to Bing’s landfill afterwards, please send us your name and license plate in advance so we can register you for free tipping.
Check out the event on Facebook here.
Document Date: 27 Aug 2023
Author: Jill Thompson
Location: Mini Big House, 5536 River Road, Duncan